2010年6月12日 星期六

Annual Bun Festival

Bun Festival in Cheung Chau


Every year there is an annual Bun Festival holding in Cheung Chau, an outlying Island in Hong Kong. (in Chinese, called 太平清醮, literal meaning: "the Purest Sacrifice celebrated for Great Peace"). It is the busiest day of the Island in a year. Flock of people went to the Island to witness the festival celebration on that day, including a very unique parade on the afternoon, Chinese opera performance, and the most renowned bun scrambling competition at the midnight (‘Bun Festival’ is named after it)


The origin of Bun Festival


It is a festival to pay tribute to the “Pak Tai”, the Taoist God of the Sea and to placate the spirit of the deceased too.  Beside a thanksgiving to god, it is also said that the festival is to placate the spirit of the deceased, those who is hurt by the pirate few hundred years ago. In time, the thanksgiving to Pak Tei and the ghosts' placating ceremonies were merged to become the Bun Festival.







Experience it myself


Having heard the Bun Festival, especially the famous Piu Sik parade for a long time. I have never went there until this year. At the moment I got off from the ferry, hearing the sound of gongs and drum already got me excited. The parade started to begin and the emotions of visitors were so high. The parade was led by elaborate floats of temples for various deities, floating colors as well as lively lion dancing. There was also people dancing, music and kung fu performance during the parade. It was the same as I expected-very crowded and hot. I can only see the parade quite far away but I still think it was worth the trip.




To me, the most striking highlight was definitely the ‘Piu Sik’ (literally meaning in chinese, "floating colors") featuring adorable four to six years old kids dressing in colorful costumes playing characters in Chinese history, popular culture and political. They were hoisted up high and glide by slow moving floats. (I guess it is named “floating colors” because they look like floating in the air. ) The little kids were all so cute and some dressed so funny.




Two little firemen-another firemen is 'standing' at the top of the ladder.



A loverly little performer is taking a rest.

.


A festive food can't miss is the bun with lucky meaning-- “Pin an” bun, a steamed white bun stamped with the Chinese word ’平安’ –meaning peace and well being.

A white steam bun with blessing

I was happy but exhausted at the end of the day, and my camera broken in the middle of the way but luckily my friends got some photos before which I can still show it on here. The Island was packed with hundreds and thousands of people on that day. It seemed that every itch of the Island was filled with people. There was quite a long time that I got stuck in the middle of the crowds, and people started to joke about if the island would sink with too many people on top of it



some  sourvenirs i got for myself and friends----
postcards,a very cute "pin an" stamp and phone strap.


1 則留言:

aa 提到...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope you enjoy watching Sex & The City 2!